Saturday, July 19, 2008

Things We've Learned This Week

For the last week you’ve been talking amongst yourselves or perhaps better said “taking amongst yourself.” Who knew when we picked “generosity of spirit” as our topic of the week it would evoke such an internal response in so many of you?

Some of the things we heard are:
  • I don’t consider myself to be a generous person.
  • I forgot that all those things my partner does for me are acts of generosity. I’m ashamed to say, I’ve come to expect them now.

  • If I mention the ways in which I am generous out loud, isn’t that being conceited?

  • I’m not in a relationship with anyone so I don’t have anything to contribute.

  • I’ve got something to say, but I don’t think it’s exactly what you wanted.
Ah the voices in our heads. We love to make stuff up don’t we? We draw conclusions in our minds and assume our assumptions are correct. We're not exactly sure what we expected to get, but we really didn’t expect it to cause so much inner turmoil in so many of you. We must admit we like it when we stir your inner pots a bit. Frustration and confusion often proceed growth. We’ve decided to leave the topic open for another week. We want more!

Here are somethings to consider:
  1. There are no right answers.
  2. Anyone can “play” - you need not be in a committed relationship to enter.
  3. If you can’t see generosity in yourself - how can you see it in others? We’ve all been told that it isn’t nice to brag or boast. We aren’t asking for bragging or boasting. We are asking for sharing. There is a difference.
  4. We think if we had asked you to tell us what bugs you about your partner, kids, co-workers, etc. it would have been easier for you to comment. Perhaps we are more prone to recognize what we don’t like than what we do. It’s much easier to let your inner critic run wild and say awful things about you than to find admiration for yourself. Please practice being gentle with yourself.
  5. Use any format you choose. (See number 1.)
You can subscribe to the RSS feed or check back often to see what others have to say.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: